Thursday, July 7, 2011

Absurd advice from travel sites

I have always been a researcher. I'm not a fan of surprises, and I like to be prepared.

Of course, that means I spend a ton of time of travel sites.

Here is some of the "helpful hints" I've come across:


First, how to behave...
Honestly? We have Americans so hammer-headed they need this advice?

Overt display of Nazism (e.g. saying "Heil Hitler" or "Sieg Heil" or raising your hand for the Roman Salute), even jokingly and the distribution of any goods having at least any potential to glorify the Nazi Party and/or its ideology, including Mein Kampf, or of any material questioning the extent of their crimes is heavily penalized in Germany as a serious offence (up to five years in jail or a fine of up to 21,600 €). Foreigners are not exempted from this law, and it is extremely likely that it will be enforced with draconic strictness. As most Germans regard such behaviour, even if meant as a joke, as completely unacceptable, it can be expected that someone will report it to the police by mobile phone, and that the police will investigate on it seriously.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Germany


Tips for packing light. Treat hotel housekeeping like Goodwill!


Having more clean clothes to wear
Everyone has clothes that they wash and think they will wear again, but never do. I bring what I need and then I don't have to do laundry. I throw them away each day. The maids love them.


http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/graffiti55.html


Does underwear really take up that much room?


Discardable Underwear
When traveling I only pack my oldest underwear. Each day I place the dirty underwear in a plastic bag which I discard in a public trash can at the end of the trip. No washing, no rinsing, no carting around detergents. No wearing damp undies!


Seriously, before you do this, just go commando.

Limit underwear
My tip for women: skip taking extra pairs of underwear. Use pantiliners (such as Kotex Lightdays) to keep your one pair of panties clean for days on end. As you travel, your stash of pantiliners will dwindle, giving you more room in your suitcase.

http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/graffiti82.html

2 comments:

  1. Gross, double gross! So glad you are going on this megamassive adventure. Lose yourself in your trip, enjoy and live it up every second, you and your boys will be fine and when you see them again soon the love will be flying strong everywhere. Mommy's who take care of themselves are happy Mommy's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's frickin' hilarious. Underwear does NOT take up that much room.

    ReplyDelete